Saturday, November 22, 2008

Trip to Ecuador with Miss Aly!

For the last time, I had to leave Perú and go into another country. I chose to go to Ecuador again. I invited Miss Aly, our on-site school teacher of The Miller School! She is great and it was a great time for us to take a vacations as the teachers here at the orphanage. She was so excited to go and was on a countdown over a week before we left. We stayed with the same people that I stayed with the last time. This time was A LOT different. There wasn't as much as a language barrier since I am pretty fluent in Spanish now.....even to the point where I have started to think in Spanish more than English at times!!! We spent time in Machala and Guayaquil. On our way to Guayaquil was one of my favorite moments! I translated my first sermon from English to Spanish. There was one word that I just didn't know how to translate. That would be "gospel" which is "evangelio"! It took the whole time to figure it out, which was really interesting! But when we came back, one of our volunteers, Lindsay, knew what it meant! We spent one whole day in Guayaquil and learned to use the bus system which was fun. I was really excited to eat Taco Bell.....then realized what American food tastes like....and at times it isn't what I think it is going to taste like! She enjoyed it though! We went and walked the strip next to the river which was GORGEOUS! IT was definitely a beautiful day to go to Guayaquil. We also climbed 444 stairs to get to this lighthouse at the top of the hill. The house structures reminds me of San Fransisco. It was a beautiful walk up! We also took LOTS of pictures! Being that have a fear of heights, I didn't walk up into the lighthouse, but she did and took pictures. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy:

This was a bridge on the way to Ecuador that they were working on above a river. So instead of doing one lane at a time (like they do in the US), they put a bunch of dirt in the river and made a levy for us to drive on.!!

This lady was working with hemp, which is common here.

This is the fountain in the Plaza de Armas...well that is what we call it in Perú! It is the center of Machala, Ecuador, where we stayed! It was BEAUTIFUL!

Ok, so I knew that they have A LOT of western restaurants and what not, but come on....Cinnabon! I had a friend who worked at one of these stores in Wisconsin, and I am sure he will get a kick out of seeing this picture!! This was in a mall where I just HAD to have Taco Bell!

Amy in front of Taco Bell.....it wasn't really worth it! But Miss Aly enjoyed it!

Here is a huge waterfall....man made of course!

Not sure what this totally is, but there are several flags on it from different countries!

What a neat waterfall huh? This is my favorite picture of Miss Aly and I!!

The lighthouse where the Spaniards used to watch for the enemy coming in. We climbed 444 stairs to get there. Miss Aly climbed to the top...not me. I am sure most know that I am scared of heights!

A view from the top of the lighthouse!

The view from the stairs....and me walking down!

No comments: